Monday, April 18, 2005

American universities fall way behind in programming / Weakest result for U.S. in 29-year history of international technology competition

American universities fall way behind in programming. This is VERY disturbing. The colleges and universities in America need to WAKE UP! It's not about losing an ACM programming contest. It's about America continuing to lose its edge in the technical/scientific fields. Once a great leader, we are now struggling to keep up with other countries worldwide, and this is not just in Computer Science related fields. I think priorities in universities in this country are severely out of balance. We're paying the price for this lack of balance. I see it in the university I'm in now. The university puts their focus on research. Certainly, research is very important, not to mention that it is what "looks good" for a university. That's fine, except, how are universities going to continue current research when they are clearly not putting resources into teaching the up-and-coming researchers? Does anyone see a problem here? This problem certainly extends into the quality of the K-12 education as well.

This just continues to drive me toward excelling at teaching. But, as I've stated before, I know I need to focus on research in the short term if I ever want to obtain my PhD. Only then will I be in a position to attempt to make a difference...

No comments: