Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Grad School -- The Board Game!

Check out the comic this out...

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=515

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or not... as this is a little too much truth for my humorous side. In our department, we call the PhD qualifying exams (or quals) "analytical exams" (or analytics, or, as I like to say, "anals"). Don't ask me why they just don't call them quals. Anyways, the chances of passing all of your exams the first time are roughly 1/36, so that's pretty accurate. Let's see, what else? Hmmm... yes, I certainly take part in all opportunities for free food around the campus. I can understand what happens when a department loses funding. It sucks. I can relate to what happens when you generate bad data, or worse yet, you have good data, but you can't reproduce it, which is still bad data. (Been there.) Generally, choosing a research topic is not so different than drawing a card from the Chance deck. This is funny! If you're a PhD student, you must visit the site http://www.phdcomics.com. I assure you that you will be able to relate to most of these clips.

No comments: